Name and surname, title : ALEKSANDRA GÓRECKA-BRUZDA, PhD, DSc
Position –Associate professor, Institute of Genetics and Animal Biotechnology PAS
Field of interest – ethology and welfare of animals (especially of horses)
Scientific achievements – 55 scientific publications, Total citations 478, Hirsch index – 13.
Selected scientific achievements
- Scientific elaboration of welfare indicators and “Good practices in horse breeding and maintenance, with recommendations of PHBA” – application),
- Scientific development of behavioural tests for the assessment of use suitability of Polish coldblood horses (Breeding Program for Polski Koń Zimnokrwisty breed – application) and leisure riding horses.
- Scientific papers from the field of behaviour, temperament and welfare of horses.
Research projects – Participation in six research projects, including two international grants.
- WELFOOD Promoting Quality Assurance in Animal Welfare – Environment – Food Quality Interaction Studies Through Upgraded e-Learning – EU programme Leonardo da Vinci, co-investigator.
- AWARE Animal Welfare Research in an Enlarged Europe – 7FW UE, co-investigator.
- NN 311075139 „Behavioural and physiological reaction of young horses during routine husbandry procedurę as indicators of welfare” – leader
- KNOW/IGHZ/RBB/WEW/2016/02 „Behaviour, heart rate and heart rate variability as indicators of welfare in dairy goats” – leader
Organizational activity, dissemination and others
- Organisation of national and international conferences and meetings (49th Annual Meeting of the European Association for Animal Production, “Welfare in Farm Animals”, 2011; „The AWARE Project: Communicating Advances in Animal Welfare Science and Education in Europe”, 2012; “Identifying and Raising Core Welfare Awareness”, 2012; ISAE West and East Regional Meeting „Animal preferences and animal welfare”, 2018)
- Guest Editor in Animals
- Reviews for Journal of Veterinary Behaviour, Livestock Science, PloSone
- Lectures for students and professionals
- Popular scientific publications; citation of results of scientific works on internet websites
- Permanent co-operation with Polish Horse Breeders Association
- Memberships in Animal Welfare Advisory Team (IGAB PAN) and in Polish Ethological Association.
- Tutoring and reviewing of academic theses
- Cooperation with national and foreign scientific institutions
- Górecka-Bruzda A., Fureix C., Ouvrard A., Bourjade M., Hausberger M. 2016. Investigating determinants of yawning in the domestic (Equus caballus) and Przewalski (Equus ferus przewalskii) horses. The Science of Nature, DOI 10.1007/s00114-016-1395-7
- Górecka-Bruzda A., Jaworski, Z., Suwała, M., Sobczyńska M., Jastrzębska E., Ogłuszka M., Sankey, C., Boroń, M., Jezierski T. 2017 – Aversiveness of husbandry procedures for pre-weaned foals: A comparison using behavioural and physiological indices. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 191, 31–38.
- Górecka-Bruzda, A., Jaworski, Z., Suwała, M., Boroń, M., Ogłuszka, M., Earley, B., Sobczyńska. M. 2017. Longitudinal study on human-related behaviour in horses - Can horses (Equus caballus) be de-domesticated? Applied Animal Behaviour Science 195, 50-59.
- Jastrzębska E., Wolska A., Minero M., Ogłuszka M., Earley B., Wejer B., Górecka-Bruzda A. 2017. Conflict behaviour in show jumping horses: a field study. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 57, 116-121.
- Doboszewski P., Doktór D., Jaworski Z., Kalski R., Kułakowska G., Łojek J., Płąchocki D., Ryś A., Tylkowska A., Zbyryt A., Górecka-Bruzda A. 2017. Konik polski horses as a mean of biodiversity maintenance in post-agricultural and forest areas: an overview of Polish experiences” Animal Science Papers and Reports, 35, 333-347.
- Górecka-Bruzda A., Reczyńska D., Jastrzębska E., Barłowska K, Bagnicka E. 2019. Behavioral and physiological measures in dairy goats with and without small ruminant lentivirus infection. Journal of Veterinary Behavior 31, 67-73.
- Jaworska, J., Jaworski, Z., McDonnell, S.M., Górecka-Bruzda A. 2020. Harem stallion changes are not associated with diminished reproductive performance of females in semi-feral Konik polski horses (Equus caballus): Bruce effect and infanticide in feral horses. Theriogenology 151, 1-6.
- Jaworska, J., Jaworski, Z. Tobolski, D., Siemieniuch, M., Janowski, T., Górecka-Bruzda, A. 2020. Selection of reproductive partners in semi-feral horses (Equus caballus) is not influenced by Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC): a field study. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 226, Article number 104973
- Górecka-Bruzda, A., Jaworski, Z., Jaworska, J., Siemieniuch, M. 2020. Welfare of free-roaming horses: 70 years of experience with Konik Polski breeding in Poland. Animals, 10(6),1094, 1-15.
- Grebieniow, A., Korczak-Abshire, M., Gasek, A., Górecka-Bruzda, A. 2020. Antarctic fur seal (Arctocephalus gazella) annual migration and temporal patterns of on-shore occurrence of leucistic individuals on King George Island. Polar Biology 43, 929-935.
Links to professional profiles (e.g. Research Gate, Scopus, Linkedin)